"A Left-Field Creative Commons Licensed
Indie Masterpiece!"

I Come to Shanghai
Album: "I Come to Shanghai"
Genre: Synth Pop, Psychedelic Pop, Experimental Pop
Based in: California, USA
Label: N/A (self-released)
Year: 2009
Rate: 8.5/10
MySpace





I Come to Shanghai's indie-cred doesn't come from the usual sources of the holy trinity of music blogs, (that being a concept I just came up in my noodle), that is made of of Pitchfork, Stereogum and [a web publication of your choice]. It comes from the gaming scene.

For you see, Robert Ashley of Massachusetts', one-half of this dynamic duo, initial claim to fame is a gaming podcast entitled "A Life Well Wasted". The podcast takes a "This American Life" approach to gaming journalism and is worth ALL the time it consumes out of your day.


So, as I listened to "A Life Well Wasted", I noticed that the music used in the podcast we're all, or at least mostly, original. A bit of more click-ta-tude and I found out that the music was from Robert's musical project with Sam Frigard of Texas' Californian outfit I Come to Shanghai.

Long story short, I downloaded this PAY-WHAT-YOU-WANT-EVEN-ZERO album a month later and well...

I'm fucking floored.

That lone-snare-drum intro, that soft-synth explosion, that Damon Albarn-ish baritone [...] The genius that is "Pass the Time".

That laid-back guitar riff, that hyperactive background beat, that swirly synth riff [...] The heaven that is "Your Lazy Eye"

Now, the opening one-two punch would be enough hold up any other filler-stuffed indie albums (Yo!, Bombay Bicycle Club, The View! Here's looking at you!), but that's not all.

"Another Sunday Morning" is a blissful run through 3/4 time, "Houses on the Shore" is a reflection of warranted post-hippie irony with the lines "I'm giving it to the rich/Stealing from the poor/And the Devil drives a big rig/Has houses on the shore".

Even the idea-based songs is entertaining. "The Commute" seems like an exercise of spacing, forward-moving songwriting and arrangement. Album closer "Do We Have to Rise Again" through twists and turns blossoms into one of the better Radiohead-inspired tracks in recent memory.

Lyrically strong, musically engaging. Done without the slightest hint of pretension. Devastatingly recommendable!

And now a gushing schoolboy poem to end:

"I Come to Shanghai has given it to us /
this twee masterpiece.
And I Come to Shanghai has given it to us /
lovingly for free."

(Ababil Ashari)

Tracklist
01. Pass the Time
02. Your Lazy Eye
03. I Watch You Sleep
04. Houses on the Shore
05. Another Sunday Morning
06. I Want to Die
07. Salvation Is a Country Club
08. Call Off the Dogs (Right On)
09. The Commute
10. Do We Have to Rise Again

*Review by: Ababil Ashari

P.S. I'd give this album a 11.5 [...] But then my bias will show. T.T

Get/Donate For/Buy the album here: http://icometoshanghai.com



-click readmore for full stories-

Related Articles | You must read these also



0 comments

Post a Comment